high fuel consumption

Diskutiere high fuel consumption im English support forum Forum im Bereich Baureihenübergreifende Foren; Hello everybody. I am sorry that I am posting in English but my writing German is not so good. I work and live in Flensburg. Nice city! Last April...

Status des Themas:
Es sind keine weiteren Antworten möglich.
  1. hektor

hektor Elchfan

Beruf:
    ballett tanzer
    Marke/Modell:
    A190
    Hello everybody. I am sorry that I am posting in English but my writing German is not so good. I work and live in Flensburg. Nice city! Last April I bought A 190. I am really happy with this car despite all the small problems that are coming with the car. Lately I have weird problem. The fuel consumption is making me crazy. From time to time jumps to 18 l per 100 km. I went twice to two different auto shops and they recorded a problem with the lambda sonde. After erasing the problem or mistake they told to come back if the the high consumption accures again. Last Sunday I wen to rendsburg, refueled and was 6.6 wow cool. Then on the way back to Flensburg I drove with 140km per hour and I noticed that the tankgeber shows almost 15 liters that are gone. I refueled and 11 liters went in. The next day Monday I went to Mercedes and they did the stardiagnose and they told that my car is in best condition. They presumed that it may be comming froma problem with the luftmassenmesser and to be changed it will cost me 1000 euro, but this might not resolve the problem.
    What to do!?

Best regards

2. Anzeige

Schau mal hier: (hier klicken). Dort gibt es vieles für die A-Klasse!

Registrieren bzw. einloggen, um diese und auch andere Anzeigen zu deaktivieren
  3. cooper

cooper Elchfan

Beruf:
    Redakteur
    Marke/Modell:
    B180 CDI (W245), A170L CDI (V168.109)
    Hello Hektor,

we'll need some more informations about your car. Most important -- which model is it, W168 or W169? Have a look at the serial number, it start usually with "WDB" followed by six digits. The first three are the model, the next three the type of your car. Then, we'll need the build date or the date of first registration.

You speak of various fuel consumption rates. How did you measure them? At the filling station, or by the onboard monitor? If you have a defective fuel sensor, nothing uncommon for many models, the displayed consumption varies wide and is a mere fiction.

The only relieable method of measuring the fuel consumption is to log how many you did refuel and how far you could drive -- and this for about 10.000 km. With one or two refueling stops, you won't get a relieable consumption due to the shape of the tank. It makes a difference of more then 5 liters if you refill with the front standing higher than the rear, or the other way round, at the same filling station. So you'll have to watch the consumption in long term.

Be careful with guess-repairs like the LMM (which is integrated into the engine controlling unit and will be exchanged as well) or the Lamda sensor. The mechanics should search for the error and repair/replace the defective parts -- then if they replace something unneccessary, you don't need to pay for these parts. They can watch the measurings of the LMM with their diagnostic software and see if the LMM sends invalid data. If the LMM sends plausible data, there is no sense in replacing it.

Greetings, Mirko

4. hektor

hektor Elchfan

Beruf:
    ballett tanzer
    Marke/Modell:
    A190
    The model is w168, 1999 with tiptronic gear. The method of measuring of the consumption is through refueling in the gas station. Always or on an empty tank or on 100 or 200 km distance. I know about the problem with the fuel sensor but is in the normal but so far is showing almost correct ar with 1 or 2 liters difference. About the standing of the car is flat as all the gas stations in Germany are made so. Usually I refuel from on place which is owned by Shell.

I am speaking about difference of more than double. In city before was always 10,6 and on the autobahn about 8-10 per 100kmh. ( off topic- this summer I went to with the car to Bulgaria and in Austria gave me 5.00 per 100 woooooooooo). Now on the daily KM. I have 50km and the fuel sensor shows almost 15 liters that are consumed. I will drive until the tank is empty and I will refuel and will give you the new result but I am sure it will be huge number.

I hope I gave you more clear picture

Best regards

5. cooper

cooper Elchfan

Beruf:
    Redakteur
    Marke/Modell:
    Okay, seems to be a real problem and no question of measuring.

The reason could be a permanent cold start mode, if I understood correct it could be related to the Lambda sensor. At cold start, the motor injects more fuel to heat up faster (to reach better emissions more quickly).

But don't let them replace the Lambda sensor for a try -- AFAIK they can check the values via Star Diagnostic. Let them identify the defective part -- if it's the wrong, it's not your problem.

Greetings, Mirko

6. hektor

hektor Elchfan

Beruf:
    ballett tanzer
    Marke/Modell:
    A190
    Dear friend thank you so much for the attention which your are giving and the time to answer and help me to resolve the problem!

If would be tha lambda sonde I would be the happiest man, because that is the cheapest part to change. The problem was that in Mercedes they could not find anything even a fehler in the lamba sonde.
    Can it be something with the electric, which probably gives problem to the lufmassenmesser. Because lately I am having weard problems with my lights bubbles inside of the car. The front ones which are above the driver are not working despite that the bubbles its self are OK. Or this is a separate problem which accrued in the same time.
    And second thought, can it from the klima compressor which when I put it on makes problem to the engine! Because the only difference last Sunday was that on the way to Rendsburg I did not use the klima and gave me perfect consumption. But on the way back I had put it on! Just a thought!!

About the cold start to me it seems ok because after the engine is warm the RPM are going as usual down

thank you again

7. cooper

cooper Elchfan

Beruf:
    Redakteur
    Marke/Modell:
    Hi Hektor,

I don't think it's something wrong with the LMM -- usually, the effects would be bad cold start, unintentional engine cut off when cold, and so on. But I haven't heared of high fuel consumption without any other problems when somebody had a defective LMM.

I'm quite surprised you have now a high consumption and then a low -- it's just strange. Climate costs some fuel, sure, but perhaps half a liter or liter, not more.

Are there perhaps any other strange observations or noises, despite of the light (by the way: Is the light in the rear door functional?)?

Mirko

8. hektor

hektor Elchfan

Beruf:
    ballett tanzer
    Marke/Modell:
    A190
    Yes In the back the light is working, in front just the one which is the single the small one pointed to the right seat. The other two equal ones are dead although the lights itself are OK. The engine start perfect has a torque does not smell of benzine from the exhausting pipes ( that shows if the fuel is rich of benzine).
    Tomorrow I go again to Rendsburg and I will try one way without any clima even i EC mode. But already now I know that Is huge the consumption 55km are gone and almost to the 15 litters mark. The only thing that I noticed is that there is a bigger vibration in the engine in open front hood. what I mean is the the box with the air filter and the one with the LMM the black on the right next the luft filter, somehow are having stronger vibration like something is loose in the structure. But this maybe normal but I somehow to me this is new and the sound is new. You know we as a drivers have good developed sense of hearing the engine or if something is unusual.

best regards and I will keep you updated after my travel tomorrow

9. hektor

hektor Elchfan

Beruf:
    ballett tanzer
    Marke/Modell:
    A190
    32 liters for 200 km *heul*

help!

10. cooper

cooper Elchfan

Beruf:
    Redakteur
    Marke/Modell:
    Pffff. Hell, that's way too much. Sure you don't have a leakage somewhere? Any gasoline smell in the morning or so?

Mirko

11. hektor

hektor Elchfan

Beruf:
    ballett tanzer
    Marke/Modell:
    A190
    Well it is not smelling like gas.Can it be something mechanical and when the car is in the move then to appear this high consumtion!

12. cooper

cooper Elchfan

Beruf:
    Redakteur
    Marke/Modell:
    Sorry, I'm helpless. Perhaps try a different Mercedes car repair shop, maybe they find the reason.

13. hektor

hektor Elchfan

Beruf:
    ballett tanzer
    Marke/Modell:
    A190
    Thanks anyway. If I have way to Hannover I will be happy to meet you.
    When I will have results and answers what is wrong with the car I will post!

p.s can you tell me this problem with the front lights over the driver seat. Where I should look for the problem!?

best regards

14. #13 Scanner, 21.02.2008
    Scanner

Scanner Elchfan

Marke/Modell:
    C169 A170 Avantgarde
    did you have an independent vehicle heater (standheizung) ?

anyway: look in your mirror when youre drive - perhaps some guys stealin your gasoline *ulk*

15. Anzeige

Schau dir mal den passenden Ratgeber an. Dort findet man Infos und Antworten.

Registrieren bzw. einloggen, um diese und auch andere Anzeigen zu deaktivieren
  16. cooper

cooper Elchfan

Beruf:
    Redakteur
    Marke/Modell:
    Ah, the problem with the lights.

I don't think the Kombiinstrument is the fault -- AFAIK the head light and the back light are triggered by the same signal. I would blame the switch right at the head light. Maybe it's corroded. Take a voltmeter and try to check if you have a ground signal when the back light is on due to an open door. Oh, and check for the +12V at one of the wires, you should have constant +12V up there. If not, this may be the reason -- the KI doesn't send +12V, it makes a ground connection (nearly everything in the A-Klasse is ground switched).

Greetings, Mirko

17. hektor

hektor Elchfan

Beruf:
    ballett tanzer
    Marke/Modell:
    A190
    Hello everybody. I am so confused with this Mercedes that............ well no comment

Today I took the car from the service and they have changed the lambda sonde and temperaturfühler 330 euro.
    Also they gave me copy from the computer test and the mistakes are as follows

0170 Lambda-Adaption
    02 am Regelanschlag min
    0600 CAN-Signal: Gangerkennungsschalter
    09 fehlerhaft

Fehleranzahl 2

In the bulgarian forum got the answer that these problems which are shown are not leading of changing the lambda sonde and the temperaturfühler and that they were changed for nothing.
    Can somebody comment

Thema: high fuel consumption
Besucher kamen mit folgenden Suchen
  1. w168 lmm

Die Seite wird geladen...

high fuel consumption - Ähnliche Themen

1. Allgemeines High-End Prozessor

High-End Prozessor: Wer einen universellen Klangprozessor sucht, der individuell konfiguriert werde kann, ist hier richtig:...
  2. Allgemeines empfehlenswerte High/Low Adapter

empfehlenswerte High/Low Adapter: Aus der autohifi: Passiv: Vorteil: Galvanische Trennung von Radio und Verstärker. Verhindert Masseschleifen Carpower FGA-22HQ High-End...
  3. W414 High End Cinchkabel

High End Cinchkabel: High End Cinch-Kabel kann man selber bauen: [IMG] http://members.wasi.tv/k16nx4/Bilder/stp0505_p0120_Kabel.pdf#search=%22stp0505_p0120_kabel%22...
  4. High End von Raibow

High End von Raibow: Von Rainbow gibt es ein rel. günstiges System, das man sich einmal anhören sollte: [IMG] [IMG] Rainbow CS 265.25 Germanium
  5. Becker DTM High Speed 7910

Becker DTM High Speed 7910: Hallo! Habe heute das Becker DTM High Speed 7910 bekommen und eingebaut. Das Teil ist der Wahnsinn. Irre schnell die Routenberechnung. Muß jetzt...
Status des Themas:
Es sind keine weiteren Antworten möglich.