ignition switch replacement how?

Diskutiere ignition switch replacement how? im English support forum Forum im Bereich Baureihenübergreifende Foren; Hi All, Car: W168 A160L 2002 Upon turning key in ignition sometimes only the SRS light comesi on all the other lights do not come on. Batteryis...

Status des Themas:
Es sind keine weiteren Antworten möglich.
  1. #1 Koolvin, 26.08.2008
    Koolvin

Koolvin Elchfan

Hi All,

Car: W168 A160L 2002

Upon turning key in ignition sometimes only the SRS light comesi on all the other lights do not come on.

Batteryis fine, new lights etc etc. Sometimes the car does start but only when all lights on dashboard are on.

I am told to replace the part A1685451004

how do I replace this part? is it an easy job , what is involved please?

(I searched the forum and found the post below)

hört sich nach dem startschalter im zündschloß an
    A1685451004 10,60euro
    mal den kabelstrang zündschloß freilegen(abdeckung KI ausbauen)
    und am kabelstrang wackeln

mfg brutus

2. Anzeige

Schau mal hier: (hier klicken). Dort gibt es vieles für die A-Klasse!

Registrieren bzw. einloggen, um diese und auch andere Anzeigen zu deaktivieren
  3. cooper

cooper Elchfan

Beruf:
    Redakteur
    Marke/Modell:
    B180 CDI (W245), A170L CDI (V168.109)
    Hi,

I don't know if there is a special trick to make it easier -- but the original description says you have to remove the steering wheel, airbag and everything behind to get the cover from the "Mantelrohr" (the axis for the steering wheel). After that you should be able to get to the cables behind the lock.

To replace the lock, you'll have to loosen the Mantelrohr according to the description. A lot of work, I would say. And you will destroy the lock by removing it.

Greetings, Mirko

4. #3 Koolvin, 26.08.2008
    Koolvin

Koolvin Elchfan

Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

Removing the airbag, and also steering wheel and axis should be easy.

someone has sent me a picture from WIS to remove the lock cylinder the article number is AR.46.10-P-0800GC , it looks like the lock can be removed without damaging it but you need a special Mercedes tool part number 202589001400

I wonder what should do now?

5. #4 funkenmeister, 26.08.2008
    funkenmeister

funkenmeister ElektronikElch

Hiy colvin,

you don't need the Special Tool W 202............. Thats the remove Tool for the Keycylinder . You have a prob with the innition switch behind the steeringlook. Please remove the cluster and remake the ignitischswitch.

greetings

6. #5 Koolvin, 26.08.2008
    Koolvin

Koolvin Elchfan

Hi thanks for reply,

when you say remove cluster what do you mean?

Is this a difficult job to replace this part?

Will I damage the steering lock ?

sorry for all these questions but thanks in advance :)

7. #6 Koolvin, 27.08.2008
    Koolvin

Koolvin Elchfan

Hi, please help!

8. cooper

cooper Elchfan

Beruf:
    Redakteur
    Marke/Modell:
    I'm not too sure, but I think he means you should renew the electric switch connected to the key cylinder. It's not the cylinder itself doing the switching from stage 0 (off) to 3 (start engine), but some rotating contacts behind.

Greetings, Mirko

9. #8 funkenmeister, 28.08.2008
    funkenmeister

funkenmeister ElektronikElch

Hiy,

idon't now exactly thats the prob is.

Please look on the picture

[​IMG]

thats the ignition switch behind the steering lock. You can't damage the lock. In position 1 from the Keycylinder you can work fine . First you remove the connector than the ignition switch

[​IMG]

you press on the right and left side and remove the switch

gruß

funki

10. #9 Koolvin, 28.08.2008
    Koolvin

Koolvin Elchfan

Thank you for your help, much apprciated!

I will let you know how I get on and will document this for future reference.

*thumbup*

11. cooper

cooper Elchfan

Beruf:
    Redakteur
    Marke/Modell:
    Great idea, take a lot of pictures and if you like I'll take care of the translation or writeup.

Greetings, Mirko

12. Anzeige

Schau dir mal den passenden Ratgeber an. Dort findet man Infos und Antworten.

Registrieren bzw. einloggen, um diese und auch andere Anzeigen zu deaktivieren
  13. #11 Koolvin, 05.03.2009
    Koolvin

Koolvin Elchfan

Since last year I have had an intermittent starting problem on my wife’s milk float AKA W168 A160 L. The problem was that the car would not turn over, the dash ignition lights would either not come on or just the SRS light would be illuminated. If I waited or tried again a few times the car would eventually turn and start.

Last weekend was the last straw when the wife was stranded for 10 minutes and late for a meeting. I had been trawling the net and discovered that if it was the starter motor I’d be lifting the engine out to replace it (a bad design or cunning revenue maker) I was never convinced that it would be the starter and was more convinced it was an electrical fault. I had been pointed to replacing the ignition switch on the A class but nobody really had any documented procedure on how to do this.

Anyway this is how it is done it (well how I undertook this task - dont try this if you're unsure or dont have the correct tools),

• Disconnect the battery (be sure to have any Radio CODE keys available)
    • Remove the airbag, there are two T30 Torx screws behind the airbag – you will need at least 3” deep torx bits, something that’s not really readily available (anti theft feature I’m told – more like a revenue maker)

(image 1)

• Remove the 3 cables behind the airbag, press and pull the two horn cables, the yellow plug can just be pulled.
    • Remove the steering wheel bolt; this is a 10mm Allen key size. Make sure you use a good ratchet and have a scaffold bar to help with providing torque as this bolt is very stubborn. Do not use the steering lock but instead ask someone to hold the wheel as you release the bolt.
    • Remove the contact spring/clock spring by removing the two Phillips screws. Be careful if you rotate this device it will cost you £300 for a new one! Anyhow after removing the screws gently pull this away.
    • Remove the indicator stalk by undoing the three Phillips head screws, and remove the white plug and pull away.
    • Remove the adjustable steering handle by lowering it and removing the Phillips screw
    • Remove the steering surround by pulling it towards you.
    • Part 8 is the culprit

(image 2)

• Remove the ignition wiring loom plug

(image 3)

• The two tabs near this screwdriver have to be depressed whilst removing it to unlock it

(image 4)

• Once this is removed the ignition switch can be removed by depressing two locking tabs that are near the screwdriver

(image 5)

• The ignition switch can now be removed away from the steering column

(image 6)

• This is the switch

(image 7 + 8)

Pictures are here: http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=65782 or if someone could put them up I can email them to you ?

14. cooper

cooper Elchfan

Beruf:
    Redakteur
    Marke/Modell:
    Thanks for mailing me the photos, I'll upload them later.

Greetings, Mirko

Thema:

ignition switch replacement how?

Die Seite wird geladen...

ignition switch replacement how? - Ähnliche Themen

1. Dachhimmel entfernen - How To ?

Dachhimmel entfernen - How To ?: Moin moin, gibt es ein bebildertes "how to" um beim W 168 den kompletten dachhimmel zu entfernen? müsste demnächst mal mein antennenloch zu...
  2. A Class W168 MAFS replacement unit petition

A Class W168 MAFS replacement unit petition: Hello. I created a petition online to ask Continental Corporation and MB to change their policy regarding availability in the aftermarket for the...
  3. how to remove the plastic on the top of the engine

how to remove the plastic on the top of the engine: Hello, how to remove the plastic on the top of the engine,becouse i need to clean the inside plastic where air filter is located(it is very dirty...
Status des Themas:
Es sind keine weiteren Antworten möglich.