Slight trace of water (yellow smear) in oil cap

Diskutiere Slight trace of water (yellow smear) in oil cap im English support forum Forum im Bereich Baureihenübergreifende Foren; Hello forum mitglieder, I recently bought an A160 BJ-2000 1.6 Liter Petrol Avantgarde in England in perfectly good condition with full service...

1. dadash

dadash Elchfan

Marke/Modell:
    A-160 (W168) Avantgarde 1.6 Liter Benzin Automatic Reg 2000
    Hello forum mitglieder,
    I recently bought an A160 BJ-2000 1.6 Liter Petrol Avantgarde in England in perfectly good condition with full service history and MOT (TÜV)

It had a slight trace of yellow water residue in the oil cap when I bought it. I drove it 1,300 km non-stop to Germany and the yellow water trace has barely increased.
    The motor runs fine, the cooler water is clean and free from oil and there is no trace of water on the dipstick. The engine runs very smooth and quiet and engine temperature is normal. The cooling water pressure is normal.

There is nothing mechanically wrong except for the yellow water trace on the oil cap.

My mechanic in England said I should drive it for a few weeks to see if other problems arise. He said if there arent any problems I could keep driving. He said it could be the cylinder head gasket (zylinderkopfdichtung) but wasnt sure and recommended not to do any expensive repair work until absolutely necessary.

My question, has anybody experienced similar?
    Any ideas what else can be the cause?

2. Anzeige

Schau mal hier: (hier klicken). Dort gibt es vieles für die A-Klasse!

Registrieren bzw. einloggen, um diese und auch andere Anzeigen zu deaktivieren
  3. #2 Wuppertaler, 29.08.2012
    Wuppertaler

Wuppertaler Elchfan

Marke/Modell:
    C169 + S204 + R170 + 964 Turbo 3.6
    Sounds like a short distance vehicle. Often happens ..........
    Condensation in the engine, because the oil does not come up to operating temperature.
    Change the engine oil.
    Greetings Uli

4. dadash

dadash Elchfan

Marke/Modell:
    Thanks, I was going to go to MrWash for a quick oil change anyway. I'll keep checking after that.
    I think normal 10W40 from MrWash should be ok.

5. syscab

syscab Elchfan

Hi,
    often the thermostat has malfunction and there is no indication on display of the a-class. Please check/let check the operating temperature by OBD-diagnosis. If the engine could not reach operating temperature, the condensed water in oil can not evaporate.
    Greetings
    syscab

6. elktom

elktom Elchfan

Marke/Modell:
    merc
    entfernt entfernt entfernt

7. dadash

dadash Elchfan

Marke/Modell:
    syscab and elktom
    Thank you both.

I had an oil change at Mr Wash with a new filter. I checked the old filter there and saw no sign of water or any bad oil. I think 10W40 should be ok, people here in the forum say theyve used 10w40 from Mr Wash. I can change later to a better oil.

At the last Service in Southampton the Mercedes partner filled her up with 10w40, so it should be ok. The car has a full service history up until April 2011. The oil hadn't been changed since April 2011...

Main thing now is checking the oil regularly for any water traces. It might be as Wuppertaler said, lots of short trips and driving a cold motor from previous owner.

Is the thermostat easy and cheap to replace? Or do I have to go into a garage to have it done?

8. elktom

elktom Elchfan

Marke/Modell:
    merc

9. dadash

dadash Elchfan

Marke/Modell:
    Hello guys,

2 weeks since the oil change and the "margarine" (yellow trace of water) in the oil cap has gone! You can imagine how pleased I am about that. Motor is in top shape, no head gasket or thermostat failure.

It just shows you should always let your car warm up when using it. And change your oil regularly!

The Mr Wash 10W40 Helax HX6 oil is great, specialy at the discount price.

10. #9 Schrott-Gott, 14.09.2012
    Schrott-Gott

Schrott-Gott Elchfan

Beruf:
    Kfz-Schlosser
    Marke/Modell:
    Mehrere W168, A160/lang, AKS, jew.> 120.000, Bj.'98/'01
    -

My advice: Don`t ever change to lower viscosity like 0w-40 or similar.
    Just keep the 10W-40.
    As long as you don`t speed a cold engine, it`s the best you can do.
    -
    -

That`the secret!

11. #10 Germish, 14.09.2012
    Germish

Germish Elchfan

Beruf:
    Jungrentner - formals Informatiker
    Ausstattung:
    Das Auto meiner Frau
    Marke/Modell:
    (W168)A 210L Evo Automatic 100.000 Meilen EZ 05/2003
    I have had this yellow gunk since I bought the car for my wife. However it does run to rich and every year I need to bribe a local MOT Engineer to perform the Emission test on one of my other petrol cars and pass it off as the emission test of my wife. THE ODB reading causes problems as on one hand it says lambda sensor and on the other hand when tested more in detail. they appear to be fine.
    Maybe I should turn my attention to the thermostat.
    The oil I use is called SYNER-G from Comma and is as recommended by Mercedes Fully Synthetic and a 5w-40W

12. elktom

elktom Elchfan

Marke/Modell:
    merc

13. dadash

dadash Elchfan

Marke/Modell:
    I've been driving for over 30 years and I always let the motor run for at least 2 or 3 minutes before I drive off. I also wait for the revs to drop slightly before I drive after a cold start. This helps get the motor running smoothely. I know that's old fashioned but it's always worked.

I know you're not supposed to that anymore, I've even heard it's illegal in Germany but I always think about the carbon foot print. If I damage my car I'll have to buy a replacement and the production of a new car leaves a huge carbon foot print :)

Schrott-Gott gefällt das.
  14. Anzeige

Schau dir mal den passenden Ratgeber an. Dort findet man Infos und Antworten.

Registrieren bzw. einloggen, um diese und auch andere Anzeigen zu deaktivieren
  15. #13 Germish, 14.09.2012
    Germish

Germish Elchfan

Beruf:
    Jungrentner - formals Informatiker
    Ausstattung:
    Das Auto meiner Frau
    Marke/Modell:
    (W168)A 210L Evo Automatic 100.000 Meilen EZ 05/2003
    Nice excuse, I have to remember this one.
    It also is illegal to top up your oil, or even make an oil change on the road
    and to mow the lawn on a Sunday. ... and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

However for less than £100 you can get a heating element. Similar to the one in your kettle which you can fix into a plughole in the side of your engine. Takes about 5minutes to fit. It warms up your engine coolant. Set your blower and heater position before you leave the car and simply pop the lead into an AC socket when parked in the garage or on your drive. With little effort you can turn on the power ahead of you using it. Cheapest is to get out and do all manually. A bit more expensive is a 240 AC timer. If you use a 12Volt timer too you could switch on your heatings blower too. This has normally no power so if you cable it up ensure you use a diode and a relays to prevent it from bringing your entire circuit alive through the back-door.
    With a bit more effort you can get a remote controlled AC Socket from Aldi or Lidl. I think they come in 4 of which is also a dimmer. Should be around a tenner when they have it in their current range.
    You can also use an old mobile phone to switch both on. Just dial in, but be aware that you might get traced by MI5 if you google for the circuit of remote control by mobile phone as terrorist are using this for exploding bombs.

Anyway it's a nice and cheap way to even more reduce your carbon footprint as you don't have to run the engine to warm it, the oil and interior up, as well as defrost your windows.
    Most cars in Scandinavia are fitted with this.
    That's Calix Engine Heater
    The one fitted to my E23 is from a different manufacturer.
    I think Waeco makes them as well.
    Oh look there even is one made by Kenlowe in Berkshire. I know them because I bought automatic gearbox oil coolers from them.
    Engine Heater by Kenlowe
    On Ebay there is one made by an american company. Brand new for less than 10US$
    Not much good as it operates on 110V but it shows what is basically needed
    [​IMG]

All the rest is just trim and luxury to bloat up the value of the sales packet. But what you see is the "heart of the system" I have not seen an engine yet without at least one plughole. I just can't tell you which diametre the one in the A-class engines are. Obviously you will need a matching size one.

It's well worth to search on Google and Ebay. Especially if you want a complete and not homemade system as there are big differences in price.

Just found mine. It's from DEFA a Norwegian company. But while it had some for my older BMWs and VWs it also has them for Mercedes A-class W168 and newer. Typically my A210 is not listed.
    DEFA - Mercedes A-Class

Schrott-Gott gefällt das.
  16. dadash

dadash Elchfan

Marke/Modell:
    Nice thing to have if you live in Sweden or Canada :)
    My car is parked in the street so that's not for me

Thema:

Slight trace of water (yellow smear) in oil cap

Die Seite wird geladen...

Slight trace of water (yellow smear) in oil cap - Ähnliche Themen

1. Rattling springs on the front of A210 Evo

Rattling springs on the front of A210 Evo: Hi I have had a set of -40mm lowering springs fitted to my LWB A210 Evo and they do not seem to fit properly on the front as they rattle. The...
  2. Red oil leaking?

Red oil leaking?: Hi, today, I noticed that my Vaneo leaks some kind of oily stuff. It is a red/brown, thin oily sunstance. The leak is at the front left of the...
  3. Problem with Oil

Problem with Oil: Hello, I have mercedes-benz 170 CDI turbo diesel 1999, 180 000 km. Im very satisfied with my car, because its small, comfortable and very speed....
  4. how to remove the plastic on the top of the engine

how to remove the plastic on the top of the engine: Hello, how to remove the plastic on the top of the engine,becouse i need to clean the inside plastic where air filter is located(it is very dirty...